At the end of our language arts block (our reading/writing workshop time) yesterday, a couple of my 3rd graders came up to tell me how they were proud of themselves for something they had done as writers. So when we were all gathered on the carpet to wrap up our day, I asked all of them if they wanted to share something they’d done as readers or writers they were proud of. Their responses made my day.
- I tried writing a sad story. (She doesn’t usually write sad things so this was her stretching herself as a writer.)
- A (the student above) inspired me and I wrote a sad story too.
- I’m proud of my creative ideas.
- My words all made sense. (When asked how he knew that he talked about rereading his writing.)
- In 2nd grade I wrote short things but now I’m writing a chapter book. I’m on chapter 5.
- K (the student above) inspired me and I’m starting a chapter book too.
The fact that they inspired each other practically lifted me off the ground. What a beautiful community of writers they are.
Also, this was a brilliant way to end our day. Of course it was inspired and led by them.