- I am white.
- I am heterosexual.
- I was born in the United States of America.
- I was born into a Christian family.
- I was born into a middle class family.
- I was born to English-speaking parents.
- I was born to loving parents.
- I was born into a well-educated family.
- I was born into a very supportive, large, extended family.
- I attended schools in well-respected districts.
- I was born healthy.
I am sure there are so many more things that have made my life easy from the day I was born. All of us have ways in which we are privileged. All of us have ways we face challenges in our society. For me, being female puts me at a disadvantage in many ways.
When I look at that list above, I know that I am very lucky. I am grateful for the twist of fate that gave me so much privilege. I realize, though, that it was solely a twist of fate. I did nothing to deserve all of this. Those without so much privilege did nothing to deserve the added challenges they face.